Friday, December 11, 2020

Photograph: Shoemaker Island and Nebraska farmland


https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/613524153399771138/787041590832005120/20200103_091657.jpg 

 This is my photograph, but I've released it into the Public Domain.

In January 2020, after a blizzard, I had the experience of being able to fly over the (mostly) cloudless West Nebraska. The effect of the snow on the farmland, at least to me, was stunning. It was a fun puzzle trying to find where it was, but I've identified the island as Shoemaker Island, the town in the top left as Shelton, and the town in the top center as Wood River. The South/Middle Plattes run through the picture, and Union Pacific Marysville Subdivision is in the bottom left. You can explore the area here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/40.7466/-98.5590.

A lot of the elements I talked about in my farming block post are present- but there are still a number of things I can't explain such as the sense of depth and height between plots. I don't believe we were close enough to the ground to make the difference between plowed and unplowed snow that pronounced.

This is a bit different than my regular posts, but it's related- a photo like this looks quite like a map- and I thought I'd share. 

Thanks for reading (and looking),

Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment